Gmail offers you several customizable formats – so many that you can have multiple Gmail accounts and all look completely different. For example, you can save all your emails in a long list, split your messages into several tabs, or split your inbox into unread and read messages.
There are also several other ways to organize your inbox, from adding a reading area to creating your own categories for organizing emails. So you can customize your Gmail interface and explore all options.
To change your inbox layout:
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen
- A quick settings sidebar opens on the right side of your inbox, allowing you to adjust some settings. For example, you can adjust the display density to control how compact your messages are displayed. You can also choose the location for your reading area and inbox type. (We'll go into that later.)
- Click "Show All Settings" at the top of this sidebar for more options
- Click the Inbox tab
In addition to "Inbox type," you can choose from a number of options in the drop-down menu:
- "Standard" stores your emails in the well-known separate vertical tabs
- "Important First", "First Unread" and "First Marked" split the inbox horizontally into two sections: the section you select first (Important, Unread or Marked) and then everything else
- Primary Inbox and Multiple Inboxes each create different sections in your email, and you can scroll down to see each section. (For more information about customizing both setups, see later in this article.) Depending on the type of inbox you choose, the next steps will differ slightly.
- If you select "Set up default inbox" next to "Categories" under "Inbox type", you can select the checkboxes to decide how your emails will be sorted. You can hover over each category name to see examples of what types of email are sorted on which tab. If you want your email to appear on a tab, you can uncheck all the boxes. (However, you cannot deactivate the "Primary" option.) You also have the "Include asterisk in primary" option so that any e-mail you mark is also displayed in "Primary", regardless of the other category she falls.
- The options for Important First, First Unread, and First Marked are similar. Under Inbox Sections, you can click the Options button to choose how many emails to display in each section.
- If you select Important First or Priority Inbox, you'll see an additional option that lets you change how Gmail counts your unread email: whether that number only includes the important unread email, all of your unread Emails or a relationship reflects the important versus all.
- You can also add a reading area unless you are in the "Multiple Inboxes" layout. After selecting the checkbox next to "Enable Reading Pane", you can use the options below to select the placement for the area.
- In the "Importance Flag" section, you can choose whether Gmail displays yellow tabs (indicating an important message) next to emails and whether Gmail automatically assigns them based on your activity
- At the bottom of the page there is the option "Overwrite filter" or "Do not overwrite filter". You can adjust these filters on the "Filters & blocked addresses" tab in the settings.
- When you're done, don't forget to click "Save Changes".
To configure the priority inbox:
If you choose priority inbox, you can use the drop-down list next to each option in the Inbox sections to choose which categories to include and which to remove, how many messages to include from each section, and whether to hide a should section if it is empty.
- To add another section, go to the Label tab at the top of the Settings menu
- Click the "Create New Label" button at the bottom of the menu
- Enter a name for your label in the pop-up window. Then click "Create".
- Go to the "Inbox" tab and click on "Options" next to an "Inbox" section
- Select "More Options" from the drop-down menu
- Select the label from the drop-down options that appear
- Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the menu
To set up multiple inboxes:
- In the Inbox type, select Multiple Inboxes.
- To set up your inboxes, you have to enter in each category as a search operator, e.g. B. "marked" or "unread". You can create up to five sections.
- You can add a label for each category under Section Name
- Enter the number of emails that should appear next to "Maximum Page Size" in each category.
- To change the placement of the sections, adjust them in the "Multiple Inboxes" position.